Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Waxing Traps - The Final Step in Trap Preparation

If you've decided upon Dyeing & Waxing as your process of choice for preparing your traps for the season, then waxing is the final step in that chain.

As the name implies, WAXING is dipping your traps, either in bunches or singularly into a pot of molten trap wax. There is an old wives tale that almost has the same status as "rodents go outside to die after eating anticoagulant baits" that you should FLOAT your wax on top of boiling water and then pull your traps through the molten wax...this results in an undesirable and unsatisfactory wax coating on your traps. You will save money on wax, but suffer on quality. You get what you pay for !!

Here is my simple wax setup. A 20lb. propane cylinder and a camp stove I bought at a tag sale at least 20 years ago. The pot that I keep my wax in is of the same vintage and your wax can be used from year to year, just add more trap wax as time goes on.
Notice I'm waxing my traps outside.....out of the house or building...CAUTION:

No comments: